In the 2020-2021 academic year, the Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics will train specialists of the educational Master’s Degree (language of education – English) in the following specialties (educational programs):
Educational Program «Mathematical Economics and Econometrics»
Master’s Program in Mathematical Economics and Econometrics is a joint program of Kyiv School of Economics, Taras Shevhenko National University and the University of Houston (US).
It is taught exclusively in English by professors of Kyiv School of Economics and Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics at Taras Shevchenko National University.
The program is designed for mathematics majors who want to continue studying advanced mathematics, but also learn about its applications in economics and business, as well as acquire other relevant skills to have a successful career in business and policy analysis, or continue their studies at the US or EU PhD in Economics/Finance programs.
The MA Program in Mathematical Economics and Econometrics at a glance:
- Two-years of full-time studies
- Instruction fully in English
- Globally trained faculty
- Advanced knowledge and skills in mathematics, economics and econometrics
- Research environment
Upon graduation, students get:
- official state Master’s degree in Mathematical Economics and Econometrics issued by Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv
- the University of Houston MA in Economics diploma
- possibilities for further studies at leading Ph.D. programs in North America and Western Europe
- excellent career opportunities in the private and public sector
- access to the KSE alumni network
Educational Program “Applied and Theoretical Statistics”
Specialization: Computer Statistics and Data Analysis.
Data analyst is a profession that has gained popularity with the development of information technology, the accumulation of large amounts of statistics that require special processing methods. A data analyst should combine proficiency in computer-aided processing with a good knowledge of the theoretical foundations of mathematical statistics. Its purpose is not only to identify the hidden patterns in the available datasets, but also to be able to reasonably put forward and test hypotheses about the phenomena being studied, to predict their further development, to assist customers in decision making.
The steady increase in the need to collect and evaluate huge amounts of data generates high demand for statistical data analysts. This profession is called the most promising profession of the 21st century.
The following courses will be read as part of the specialization:
- Computer Statistics – acquaintance with modern computer technologies of data analysis and statistics.
- Machine Learning – introduction to modern adaptive methods of pattern recognition, forecasting and decision making using neural networks, decision trees, genetic algorithms and other artificial intelligence technologies..
- Time series – analysis of data with temporal and spatial dependence, modern techniques of statistical forecasting
- Big data – methods for identifying statistical relationships and dependencies, creating and validating models of phenomena under investigation through large amounts of multifaceted information: exploratory factor analysis, dimensionality reduction, cluster analysis, multidimensional scaling, confirmatory factor analysis, graphical statistical methods and models.
- Statistical calculations – effective modern methods and algorithms for calculating statistics.
- Non-parametric statistics – science and art of constructing and fitting mathematical models of statistics based on minimum a priori assumptions.
- Selective Surveys – how to properly perform data sampling for statistical analysis and how to eliminate the disadvantages of unsuccessful sampling.
In addition to gaining a solid theoretical background, our students acquire real-world skills in applied statistics, mathematics, and computer programming. Intensive courses in statistical modeling and forecasting provide training for data analysts at the highest international level.
Educational Program “Mathematics”
Mathematics is a universal specialty, the graduates of which open the road in several professions. They can do research in areas using mathematical methods and computer technology. Develop effective methods for solving the problems of science, technology, economics and management. Work for programmers, systems analysts, and business analysts. Teach the cycle of mathematical disciplines (including computer science) in schools and universities.
Traditionally, this specialty is considered prestigious. The graduates work as managers of algorithmic development of mathematical models in scientific, industrial, commercial, banking and financial institutions of Ukraine and abroad, investment companies, industrial industries.
1) Algebra and Basics for Data Protection;
2) Operator Theory and Nonlinear Analysis;
3) Differential equations and mathematical models;
4) Probability, information, data processing;
5) Computational Mathematics
Entrants for the master’s degree on the basis of the obtained degree of higher education or educational qualification level of the specialist for participation in competitive selection statements only in electronic form except those specified cases.
In particular, paper applications are submitted by applicants in the following cases:
- to exercise the right to enter on the results of entrance examinations with competitive subjects in a higher education institution and / or a quota for foreigners in accordance with these Rules;
- when submitting a foreign education document;
- in case of application by foreigners and stateless persons permanently residing in Ukraine;
More in the Rules of admission to university
More datailes here